Electroconvulsive Therapy Treatment at Holly Hill Hospital
ECT OPENS JUNE 8TH
Thank you for your patience during the COVID-19 pandemic. We are happy to announce that Electroconvulsive Therapy or ECT at Holly Hill Hospital will reopen on Monday, June 8th.
Special COVID-19 Precautions:
- All patients will be screened for COVID-19 prior to their appointment and upon arrival for ECT. Patient temperatures will be taken upon entry to the South Campus Adult Hospital.
- All staff have and will continue to be screened and have their temperatures taken prior to entering the building each day. Staff are required to wear masks in common areas and in the treatment room.
- We will disinfect our patient treatment room in between each ECT treatment. Our lobby, restroom and other frequently touched areas will be disinfected on a regular schedule throughout the day.
- Hand sanitizer will be made available In the lobby area and inside ECT.
What we need our patients to do and to understand:
- To maintain social distancing, patients may be required to wait in their car until their treatment.
- All patients will be required to wear their own mask or face covering at all times while in the facility.
- Patient’s support person will be required to wait in his/her vehicle for the duration of the ECT consultation and/or treatment.
Please immediately notify our office at 919-900-5439 to reschedule your appointment if you are exhibiting any of the following COVID-19 symptoms:
- Shortness of breath of difficulty breathing
- Shaking with chills
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- Loss of taste or smell
- GI issues
High Risk Patients:
We encourage patients that are listed as high risk, per CDC guidelines, to make an informed decision about their care. You may choose to delay treatment. Know that we are here to serve you when you feel comfortable.
ECT AT HOLLY HILL HOSPITAL
Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) treatment can provide rapid, significant improvements in symptoms of several mental health conditions, with more than half of severely treatment-resistant patients achieving remission*.
WHAT IS ECT?
ECT is a non-invasive brain stimulation treatment administered under general anesthesia to adults over the age of 18.
HOW DO I KNOW IF ECT IS RIGHT FOR ME?
ECT can be an effective treatment modality when psychotherapy and antidepressant medications are unsuccessful. ECT provides rapid, effective and significant improvements in patients with symptoms of severe and treatment-resistant depression or schizophrenia.
IS ECT SAFE?
Holly Hill Hospital has provided over 1,000 ECT treatments since opening our South Campus Adult Hospital. All patients’ lab work and EKG results are reviewed by our physicians prior to treatment. Additionally, focused consultation and monitoring of progress is conducted throughout the treatment.
WHAT TO EXPECT?
ECT is a brief procedure with additional time needed for preparation and recovery. During treatment, ECT is typically administered three times per week for up to four weeks. ECT can happen while the patient is hospitalized or as a form of outpatient treatment. The patient is under general anesthesia during the procedure. Side effects are mild and tend to be limited to reversible short term memory loss.
Begin Your Healing Journey Today
Sometimes life feels too heavy to handle on your own and you need someone to help you through. We want you to know that it’s okay to ask. Taking the first step can be difficult, but Holly Hill is here for you. We promise that our assessment counselors will meet you with compassion and without judgment. No matter where you are, it’s never too late to reach out.
It all starts with a free, confidential assessment, accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We’ll walk you through every step of the process. You don’t have to be alone. Let us help. Call 919-250-7000 or complete our online contact form.